This delicious, thin Italian casserole will please you at your next family meal.
Cuisine: American, Italian
Keyword: Gluten-Free, Kid-Friendly, Low-Carb
Servings: 8 people
- One spaghetti squash medium
- 1/2 cup water
- Two tablespoons olive oil
- Ground turkey sausage 1 lb
- One small yellow onion, chopped small
- One small green pepper, diced small
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes, with no sugar added, drained
- 24 ounces marinara sauce jar, no sugar added
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese low-fat
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese low-fat, shredded
- 1/4 cup basil fresh, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 inch casserole dish with nonstick spray. Set aside. Set aside a second baking dish.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Then scoop out the seeds. Place the cut side down on a second baking dish. Pour 1/2 cup of water around the squash. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the squash is tender. Let cool slightly, then use a fork to remove the flesh. It will look like spaghetti noodles. Put the squash in a large bowl.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Once the olive oil is hot, add the turkey sausage, onion, and pepper. Once the turkey has melted, break it up into pieces. Add the marinara and tomatoes to the saucepan. Mix well, and then remove from heat. Fold in the ricotta. Combine the mixture in a large bowl with the spaghetti squash. Mix well to coat it. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and place in the prepared casserole dish.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with fresh basil. Allow cooling for 10 minutes before you serve. Enjoy!
Calories: 210kcalSmartPoints (Freestyle: 7
SmartPoints (Freestyle: 7